Insuring second hand goods (home contents)


Hey folks,

I have a lot of electronics, including a DSLR and host of lenses that are covered outside the house, but much of it was purchased second hand.

In the event of theft/loss, I understand insurance companies will sometimes ask for proof of purchase/ownership? How can I do this with items purchased via personal ads and Gumtree?

When estimating/declaring the value of items, do I use the new price or second hand price? E.g. I have a 65″ TV which would have cost £2k new a few years ago, but I purchased it second hand on Gumtree for £500.

Most of my new purchases were done online, so I have online invoices, but what about in the case of a fire when a claimant only had paper invoices that were destroyed?


Source link